Thursday, October 13, 2011

Understanding Text

I was intrigued to see a long list of things children do naturally when reading. Some of them I had already considered but was glad to see that children do a lot of these strategies naturally. I like the idea of teaching the strategies for further understanding but firstly basing learning of what they are already doing themselves. I agreed that forcing ideas and techniques on students is not a beneficial way to go about it. I think students get so much more out of assignments when they are open ended and leave kids room to create and imagine different ways to do the project, just like our book report projects. I loved seeing all the different ways to represent a book. I find all of these techniques much more useful and memorable than just simply writing a book report in Word.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree, Kelly! Having kids do creative book reports is so much more enjoyable for everyone and at the same time it shows the teacher how well the students can understand a book.

    ReplyDelete