Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Guided Reading Video
On Thursday we viewed examples of teachers leading guided reading groups. This was extremely helpful for me. I am a visual learner, so seeing a teacher perform the skills and techniques we had read about in Flint's book was very helpful. It was also helpful because we were able to observe the students involvement and how they responded to the teacher's instructions; this is not something you can do reading text. It was also nice that we were able to view different reading levels and different styles/techniques that teachers used. One teacher chose novels that he knew interested his reading group because they made a connection to a previous book they had read and enjoyed. Another teacher used the reading groups to work on making predictions. I was able to see some of these techniques in person today when we observed at Cedar Ridge. I was in Mr. Miles's first grade class and when he was reading aloud to the class he used some of the same strategies that we saw in the video.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I definitely agree that a visual representation and being able to see the teacher-student interaction provides a much deeper insight into the topic of guided reading that we would not be able to get from just reading about it in a book. The teachers I have observed at Cedar Ridge have also used this strategy while I've been there and its really neat to be able to watch in person as well!
ReplyDelete