Monday, October 31, 2011

Article/ Esperenza

I have not quite finished Esperanza but I just finished the article. I think the novel is one that you could easily implement ideas from the article. 
I find it interesting the second example used and the student and teacher's perspectives in "What the teacher didn't know." As a student and tutor now, I think many teachers and students could benefit from writting something similar to this, to gain a better understanding of each other. I think we are so quick to judge and try to make others and ourselves feel sorry for our situations. we try to convince ourselves we have it worse off than others. I believe for most of us it is quite the opposite!

It was briefly mentioned in the article but Teatro seems like a great way to develop author's craft as well. It is also a great way for students to challenge and address the status quo. "Ivonne’s testimony of how she negotiated and developed social relationships challenges the idea that the only way to fully participate in school is through mastery of the English language."

I am always worried however about how administration will react to doing things such as this. just like at the beginning of the article, when you do things out of the norm, you will often be questioned. I worry about coming out of pre-service teacher training without having enough to back up these ideas with if I try to implement them and they are questioned.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I think their are a lot of creative ways to go about teaching and Esperanza Rising is a really good example of a text that would be easy to implement a lot of the different techniques mentioned.

    ReplyDelete