Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Drama Article
I really liked this article because I think that drama can be so helpful to learning. To say that drama literature activities is not technically literature is crazy in my opinion. By ignoring drama, movement, and hands on activities you are ignoring certain children that may not learn very well when only presented with a text to read and thats it. This article reminded me of a literature/drama activity we did in my eighth grade english class. We were reading Shakespeare's The Taming of The Shrew. My teacher had us split off into groups and assigned us different scenes to rewrite in and theme or way we wanted to. As a class we shared and performed our scenes. Once we did that we voted on which theme or modernization technique we liked the best and then as a class we rewrote all the scenes with our theme of choice (we did western!). Administration read our version, The Wranglin' of the Shrew, and liked it so much they made it our spring play! The whole activity was much more enjoyable and beneficial then just simply reading the play and then moving on. I still remember that play to this day, where other things I've read over the years have fallen by the wayside.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you are right. As much as I hated assignments like that, I know that there were some students that really enjoyed assignments that involved theater. I think that your example is a really cool twist on the usual assignment of rewriting a scene, and I like that everyone got to vote on their favorite so that even if they didn't love the scene their group created, they could have a part in something that they really enjoyed. I like the idea of incorporating drama into reading lessons, but I think there is a good way and a bad way of going about it.
ReplyDeleteI agree. I think that this would be a great option for many students. For those that are not comfortable with this kind of activity, the teacher could provide a couple different options that would allow them to express their knowledge and opinions of the literature in another way.
ReplyDelete