Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Flint Ch 12

I would like to focus my post this week on the Flint reading. (Ch 12)
I noticed initially the statement the "if students are unable to read and write proficiently, their acedemic performance begins to spiral downward quickly." I believe this is true and is why so many students are not identified as having learning disabilities until later grades. Our current system of education depends so much on a student's ability to read and understand as well as to be able to articulate their thoughts and knowledge using the written word.

"motivation can make the differance between learning that is temporary and superficial and learning that is permanent and internalized."
I can see the truth in this in my own academic life.  The learning that occurred in most of my Gen Ed classes where I was not highly motivated was "temporary and superficial" where as much of what I am learning now...I am highly motivated because the material interests me and I know I will need to have all of the things I am learning now in order to teach students...is "permanent and internalized."

A question I intend to pose in class is about all of the intervention programs...I would assume the school that we are teaching out chooses a program that we must follow, I wonder how that will affect us it the program is against our ideas and beliefs about how to help struggling readers develop literacy?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the superficial learning. In gen eds it is so easy to just "do school" and not actually remember what you are being taught. The classes are temporary and some, in my case,have absolutely nothing to do with my major. That makes learning all the more difficult.

    ReplyDelete