One thing that I really liked while reading this article was this quote:
"all children, including those we the find most demanding, “are not asking for less work, or easier work, they are asking for meaningful work""
I really liked this because it made me think of the kids I work with at my summer camp. The kids I work with have spina bifeda and with that comes a very wide range mental and physicals abilities. Most of these kids require some form of special education or instruction, and because of this their teachers and even sometimes their own parents, underestimate their abilities. Sometimes they are given too much slack and not expected to do as much as the other kids, and this frustrates me and them because they are capable of so much more. I think it is extremely important, for these kids and all kids, that teachers make instruction meaningful to their students and not just lighten the load for those who are struggling.
I also think that creating meaningful activities and work for our students is very important. I think that we often underestimate students that struggle in one area even though they could excel in another. I think it's important to set our standards high but at the same time find ways to teach that actually mean something to our students.
ReplyDelete