The next thing I wondered when I was reading was what age the students are that she is teaching. It later said that the students were 4th graders. I thought this was interesting because 4th graders do not often read picture books in class (to my knowledge anyway). I'm sure 4th graders would still like being read picture books, but I wonder if they would prefer looking at novels to learn about writing craft. I also started thinking, how could you really do something like this with younger students? Would they be capable of picking out the things that writers do? I think it would be interesting to see this kind of lesson in action, because even though Ray is describing her process in chapter 6, I still would like to see how it could work. I have never been taught this way, as I'm sure none of us have, but I think that this is actually a really cool way to teach writing and to encourage creativity.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm just thinking out loud... but that's exactly what I'm doing. Let me know what you guys think!
I agree that it seems weird to think that 4th graders would be reading picture books as I typically think of picture books for about children up til about 1st grade maybe 2nd. But I also kind of like they idea as long as you could sell the fact that this is an interesting piece of writing craft. The students might enjoy looking back on a book they read as a child as a break from the lengthier reading they have to do. It could be a way to look into what makes the book a great story and what makes the story something they enjoyed as a child and remembered. This could be a fun and interesting perspective for looking at writer's craft.
ReplyDelete