Thursday, October 27, 2011
Discussion Groups
I really liked the way we did discussion groups today! Like I said in class, I never liked the discussion groups that my teacher set up in 5th grade because it made reading such a chore. We would rotate jobs each day and there were just some jobs that I absolutely hated. I always thought that things like that got in the way of reading, because a lot of the time I actually did like the books we were reading. I especially liked when we were able to pick the book we wanted to read out of a certain number of books and we were put into groups in that way. I remember one time in particular we were to pick out of 5 books that were all about the holocaust. I ended up really enjoying that book because I got to choose the one that interested me. I think if I end up teaching one of the older grades that is something I would like to set up, only in a more open ended way. I think 4th and 5th graders especially are capable of talking about a book they read without it being completely structured. I like the idea of having them talk about the book and then looking at different questions if the conversation comes to a stop. I actually came into class today hoping that we wouldn't be talking about what a good idea discussion groups where everyone has a different job are, so I am glad that we talked about a different way that they can be run. I am really hoping to learn about more ways to teach reading in such a way that kids will really enjoy it, because reading is fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree! I too enjoyed the discussion groups where we were allowed freedom in what we talked about. It was nice to hear others opinions about the reading and the predictions they had for the rest of the book. I think that it is important to encourage discussion in this format because it makes the reading more fun and enjoyable.
ReplyDelete