Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Class Discussion 10/18
I was glad that we discussed Ray's use of the phrase "real world writing". This was bothering me a little bit because I think children already separate what they do in the classroom and what they do at home and we as teachers should encourage our students to think of it all as one. I wouldn't want my students to not value the writing or work they do in my classroom just because it is for school. If school is not the real world when it comes to writing, that devalues a LOT of work I have done over my lifetime. Personally, I think every bit of work or writing is "real world writing". Not valuing what a student is writing in school might also damage their self esteem. Students should be proud of all work they produce, not just if they are in the "real world" being paid for their work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I COMPLETELY AGREE. I cannot stand when people use the phrase "out in the real world." Umm, I have been in school my whole life and I am 20 years old, is this not real yet? I think it is so important to get across that what we learn in school is important. Even if we only use certain skills in a school setting it doesn't mean it isn't useful, because we spend a lot of time in school! Writing essays is very important, we all would have probably failed out of school by now if we didn't know how to write them!
ReplyDelete