One thing I really connected from the text in class today during the video was about exposing children to high quality oral language texts. Its discussed on page 233. I had jotted down "Im not sure this is a great idea" next to the section. The text read "high quality literature regularly usues language that talks over students' heads but remain intresting and engaging to read."
I was thinking that is it was over their heads the students would not be able to comprehend the text and make connections, but merely be able to decode and seem like they are reading it. But after watching the video I changed my mind. I realized that it is not giving a third grader a book on a seventh grade level, but rather giving them a third grade level book that uses rich language they may not be familiar with. This makes much more sense to me now.
No comments:
Post a Comment