Monday, September 19, 2011

Schmidt article

I can relate alot with this article because the grade school I attended participated in accelerated reader. On pg 204 in makes a point I love: that the program Made the definition of a good reader go from one who finds both knowledge and pleasure in reading to one who could Score 80% or more on and AR test and accumulate alot of points. The article also comments on how the program limits children on the text they will read. I know fist hand that this is true. I can remember racing to the library to at I could get to e books with the most AR points before anyone else. Our library had all of the AR books in one section and I had no idea how to use the library other than to go straight to that section. I ink that yes, AR can help students improve reading. I know I became a better reader from reading many books, however the program does little (if not making worse)to build a child's lifelong desire to read and practice literacy.

I liked that the teacher could admit that she was wrong for endorsing and working to get the program in her school. I also think that as an educator I need to have a spirit of humbleness, to be able to admit when I do not know what is best or to be able to adapt my idea of what is best after I have already set my course in one direction.

3 comments:

  1. I liked what you said about the teacher being able to admit that she shouldn't have endorsed the program. I think a lot of the time teachers and well anyone get stuck in a pattern and think that continuing in the way they always have is the only option. I think a lot of students would be better off if there were more people willing to stand up and say I don't think this program/way of doing things is working and it needs to be changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep...I can only imagine the kind of backwards, unhelpful systems we will encounter when we get into schools that we will feel we have no power to change because they have been in place for many years. ohh boy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you pulled that specific quote from the article; that quote speaks volumes as to what is going on with reading in schools. Reading is becoming less of a hobby and a place for an escape and more of a score that teachers and students are judged by. That is so sad, because I think reading is so important and beneficial at any age, but especially when children are younger. It is a wonderful and fun way for children to learn, but when AR restricts what can be read, I think it is also restricting what children are being allowed to learn.

    ReplyDelete