Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Bishop and Flint
After reading the Bishop article, I found that I disagreed with many of her thoughts, as well as some of what Flint has been discussing. This is all in regard to multicultural literacy. After reading the article, I felt that the "norm" students (Middle class, white, Americans) are being ignored. All the other students get to partake in literacy that discusses their own personal histories, yet the "norm" students are left behind. I feel as if there is such an emphasis on diversity and multiculturalism in the classroom that we forget to discuss the other students, many of whom have just as diverse backgrounds. I also felt that Bishop used words like "norm" that made student like myself feel as if we have nothing special or unique about our backgrounds and because we are not labeled as "different" we don't deserve any recognition. Now I know that is not what she intended, but some of her language gave me that impression. I also noticed this in Flint's work and how she has stressed the importance of validating the multiple languages of all students. I do think this is important, but I think the extent that the subject has been taken is far too much. Some students who may be labeled as "different" may not even see themselves that way, or do not want to be seen in that way and putting them in the spotlight would make them uncomfortable. I think the push on how much diversity is brought into the classroom should depend on the students themselves. Yes, there should be some multicultural texts in all classrooms because America is a very diverse country and the students should be aware of that. However, I don't feel that there should be such pressure to make sure all the texts are perfectly authentic and that every culture in the classroom is represented in a text unless the students themselves want it that way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with everything you have said Leslie. Some kids are going to want to share their background and their individual home life with their classmates, and that is great! However, some students are going to want to be treated like everyone else. The spotlight on them would make them feel uncomfortable. I do think it is important to be aware of different cultures in your classroom but I also think it is more important to make the ENTRIE class feel like one big family.
ReplyDeleteEquality seems like such an easy concept yet one that is extremely hard to actually put in practice. But making every child feel important and proud of where they came from is the goal. And there will always be outside forces saying we are not doing it the best way. We just have to trust our own personal knowledge about children and do what we believe is best. And be humble enough to admit when we were wrong. You brought up good points.
ReplyDelete