Thursday, September 15, 2011
Bishop Article - Multicultural Education
While reading the Bishop article on multicultural education, I came across a particular quote that really resonated with me! The quote was as follows, "When children are invisible in the literature sanctioned by the schools, or when the images they see are distorted or laughable or inaccurate, the effect on their self-esteem is likely to be negative. " For me, this point really sums up the main purpose I see in using multicultural literature. While multicultural literature is important for celebrating students' diversity, I think the even more important purpose for including it in your classroom is too make the students accept their own cultures and those of others in a positive attitude so they can feel proud! Quality multicultural books can show students the unique aspects about their culture that make them special and valuable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment