Thursday, September 15, 2011

Bishop article/ Ray ch 7

One quote that stuck out to me in the article reading for this week was the following quote: "When students are exposed to literature in which they see reflections of themselves and their lives, they are miseducated to view themselves and their lives as "normal", to interpret their own culture as human nature." This perpetuates the discrimination and oppression. I agree with this one hundred percent but I was still concerned with how I would prevent this from happening in my classroom. I felt completely un-prepared to provide rich and true cultural experiences for children but this article has eased some of my worries. Bishop clearly states its not about knowing it all but about putting for the effort to try. I also was very excited to read Ch. 7 in Ray's book because now not only will I have to tool to analyze children literature, I have a large list to choose from. I am so glad I am receiving all of this. One of my biggest fears about my own classroom was building my library but I feel like I am gaining the tools to be able to create a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment