Thursday, September 29, 2011

Flint Chapter 6

I found the descriptions about the different levels of emergent writers to be very helpful. I did not realize that the young students went through so many phases, or that those phases had names. I think this will be helpful as a future teacher, because now I have a reference point when I am looking/critiquing my own students writing. If they are at those early stages, I will know that I don't need to correct as much as encourage them. They will get better and more advanced with practice. Just like we talked about in class today, many teachers are too quick to correct instead of guiding the students toward the higher goal. I know this is something that I will struggle with because I will want to correct my students and help them understand why it was incorrect, but I have to remember this is the learning process and they will get better with more practice.

1 comment:

  1. I feel very much the same way that you do! I also think that learning these steps was a huge take away from the chapter and the class that I will be able to use in my classroom when assessing my students. Though I had never really thought of these steps split like this before, they really seem to make a lot of sense progressively and was very interesting and to see all of the many examples too!

    ReplyDelete