Monday, September 26, 2011
Flint Ch.6
Usually when I read Flint, I find it rather silly to separate some of the techniques and methods that they do, thinking they all could be good depending on the situation, and should probably be combined to be the most effective. The two perspectives talked about in the very beginning of the chapter are readiness perspective versus emergent literacy perspective. In the case of these two I cannot see how readiness perspective is even worth mentioning at all. It talks about learning to read, write and speak as a sequence of skills and separate from each other. The emergent literacy perspective talks instead about children developing these abilities concurrently and at different rates and methods. Children are not cookie cutter in learning anything. Every child is different and going to learn a different way and at a different pace. A set of goals or benchmarks of where a child should be at a certain time in their life is not necessarily a bad thing but when the methods used to teach are all about those benchmarks, thats when I see a problem. To think that anyone might view learning to read like this surprises me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree Kelly, I think this makes very little sense. I think what Flint is trying to get at is exactly that - that the way it has been handled in the past is not a good way to handle reading and writing now. She seems to like the whole language approach, and I think that is definitely a better alternative to the "kids start reading when they are 6 years old" approach.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I agree. Although from our view a readiness perspective may seem odd, it has dominated much of early literacy instruction and policy historically.
ReplyDelete