Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Post 1
Something that really struck me this week was both the reading and class discussion/jigsaw activity concerning language use in the classroom. Flint discussed the many different forms of language that are used in the classroom such as Ebonics and code switching. I found our class discussion about this topic very helpful and useful. It was good to hear others opinions about how to validate the students that come from a different linguistic background while still helping them succeed in the reading and writing of "proper English". I think this will be a topic I will struggle with as a teacher so by being introduced to the topic by Flint and then furthering the discussion with others in the class, I now have a better understanding of the topic and some ways to cope with it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I was also very interested in this topic! I don't think many people consider ebonics to be an actual language, and i think it is really cool that it actually follows a grammatical pattern. I think that supporting the use of it outside of the classroom while still teaching standard English is a very good way of supporting their culture and including them in the classroom. I think it is important that we all are supportive of this so that these children feel comfortable and included in our classrooms.
ReplyDeleteIm posting this right now just to see if I can get this to work. Please disregaurd
ReplyDelete