Thursday, September 22, 2011

AR

After reading the article about AR, I realized how detrimental this program is to student reading. Not only does it discourage many students from reading, but it also teaches them that what they find interesting may not be important. This was very saddening to me, especially because I am getting an endorsement in reading. I realized that this was a very common practice in schools, and I think the program needs to stop altogether or be modified. Reading is a difficult subject to test on because every person interprets the text differently and finds different aspects important/memorable. So, when dealing with young, impressionable students, it is important that we as teachers are encouraging them in their reading interests and not subject them to tests that belittle what they find interesting.


1 comment:

  1. I agree that I do not like the system but I wonder what we would put in place of it. I heard an instructor saying once in regards to the academic system and standardized tests...that we know there is a better way. we just don't know what it is yet. Just like the medical field. We may think that what they did in hospitals 20 years ago is crazy, many practices they did everyday they would even be able to legal do today. But they were doing the best they could with what they knew at the time. And I believe that is what instructors are doing now. They best they can with what they know. And just like the medical field that will continue to evolve and change every year, every month, and every week.

    ReplyDelete