As a Deaf and Hard of Hearing Major I feel like I am learning so much about children with hearing loss but I am extremely interested in low vision, blind students. I feel like it would be so overwhelming to try and educate students in a way that is fair to them without training in a program like the one here at ISU. I really enjoyed this article because it gave alot of insight into what will not only help a child with low vision, but others as well. Just like so many adaptations to the world around us that benifit everyone but were put in place for those with disabilities. Things like curb cuts...law mandated they were put in for people in wheel chairs but how many of us on bikes and with strollers love curb cuts?!
Im the same way alot of the adaptations we make in a classroom for students with extra needs will benefit all of our students.
I agree and really like your example of curb cuts!
ReplyDeleteHaving students in a classroom that might need accommodations really makes a teacher think about how to adjust their lesson for the better. These kind of accommodations can be helpful to all the students and not just the ones it was originally created for!